Resources, guidance and information for education practitioners, learners, and families on screen time.
What you need to know
Screen time is the amount of time spent using any device with a screen such as smartphones, tablets, computers or games consoles. Balancing screen time has become an important consideration to ensure that children and young people use technology in a positive and healthy way.
Screen time when managed correctly can be educational, informative, and a great way for children to staying in touch with friends and family. It only becomes an issue if children and young people become dependent on it and it starts affecting other things in their life.
Too much screen time can affect children’s behaviour, sleep and concentration. It can also lead to less physical activity and social interaction.
Learning and teaching resources
Parent and carer workshop materials
Materials for a school to run a parent and carer workshop around screen time.
- Ofcom: Children and parents: media use and attitudes report 2023
- Parenting. Give it time: Balancing screen time
- Childnet: Screen time and healthy balance
- Apple: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Microsoft: Set screen time limits across devices