Modelling learning leadership
Consider the descriptors in the schools as learning organisations model.
In this component, schools should ensure that they have a clear understanding of the four purposes of the curriculum and the process of change management that implementing Curriculum for Wales will require.
From the emerging shared narrative, leaders should put time and effort into developing understanding of Curriculum for Wales and the assessment framework across the school and take steps to ensure this happens. Implementing the new curriculum will require planning for meaningful learning, innovation and creativity. This will require a deeper understanding of pedagogy and practice which will be supported through the National Pedagogy Project and cross-regional professional learning programmes. These will facilitate the leadership of professional dialogue and conversation that will develop our understanding of how we support learners in becoming ambitious, capable, confident, creative, healthy, enterprising and ethically informed individuals.
Leaders should consider their school improvement priorities for the next three years, based on an analysis of what is needed to realise Curriculum for Wales for the school.
Collaboration and shared approaches are important. Shared understanding of staff and engagement with stakeholders and their roles should be considered.
Areas to consider
Some areas schools could consider within this area are:
- understanding the four purposes of the curriculum for change management
- managing change
- understanding a purposes-led and progression-based curriculum design
- a shared understanding of progression
- considering staffing structures, roles and responsibilities
- the development of teacher agency model
- the strategic development of the Welsh language.
It is recommended that leaders take time to consider the above and not to rush to get a finished product in place without considering all of the implications. It is not a ‘task and finish’ model of development that results in a finished product.
- Key to the resource icons pdf 375 Kb This file may not be accessible. If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is
The playlist resources below show how some schools have addressed some or more of the above aspects.
- Part of:
- First published:
- Last updated: