The internet is a great place to help you stay in touch with your friends and family, to do your school work and to watch videos or play games. However, it’s very important to follow these tips to help keep you safe. If you have any problems, or you are worried remember you can always talk to a parent or carer, or a grown up you trust.
To stay safe online I should:
- keep all my usernames and passwords safe and not share with my friends
- only talk online to friends and family that I know in real life
- never click on ‘Accept’ or ‘Yes’ to invitations to chat, share pictures or play games from anyone I don’t know in real life
- never give anyone my personal information like my telephone number, home or email address, or the school I go to – not everyone is who they say they are online
- keep my webcam covered when I’m not using it
- ask a grown up I trust for help to change the settings on my apps, phone, computer or tablet to keep me safe
- stick to websites that I have learned about in school when I’m online
- check out things I see online before deciding to believe them – not everything online is true
- never click on links in emails or messages that then ask me to log in and share my details – it could be a scam or a trick, so it’s always best to go to the website or app directly
- always ask my friends and family if it’s okay before I share any pictures that they are in
- always be kind online and don’t say things that may upset someone, even if I think it’s a joke
- learn about all the help that I can get if I need it, like Meic and Childline
- never be scared to talk to someone I trust about anything that is worrying me or a mistake that I’ve made – there is always someone who can help me
- tell someone I trust if I get worried or upset about anything I see or hear online or if someone I don’t know asks to be my friend.
Help if you need it:
Meic is the helpline service for children and young people up to the age of 25 in Wales.
Freephone: 0808 80 23456
SMS Text: 84001
IM/Online chat: www.meic.cymru
Childline is yours – a free, private and confidential service where you can talk about anything.
Call: 0800 1111
- Stay Safe. Stay Learning. Online safety top tips for primary aged learners pdf 133 Kb This file may not be accessible. If you need a more accessible version of this document please email email@example.com. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is