Suggested audience: learners, parents, school staff, school digital champions, local authority Hwb administrators, regional education consortia Hwb administrators.
Further to the Minister for Education’s press release in March 2019, Microsoft 365 A3 licences are available for all maintained schools in Wales. These licences include Windows 10 upgrades, Office 365 Pro Plus, Minecraft* and Enterprise Mobility and Security features.
The Microsoft 365 (A3) licence comes with a whole host of additional features, supplementing Hwb's original Office 365 (A1) licence. A comparison of the Microsoft Education plans can be found on the Microsoft 365 Education page.
Benefits for school staff and learners include:
- School devices
- All devices used by staff members and/or learners can be licensed.
- Personal devices (home use)
- Desktop versions of Office can be installed on up to 5 PCs or Macs per licensed user.
- Office Apps can be installed on up to 5 tablets and 5 phones per licensed user.
- Learners must have consent confirmed and staff members must be allocated a licence (see below for further information).
Allocation of licences
For school devices
Licences are handled by a Key Management Service (KMS).
Local authorities have been provided with the required information and are able to assist schools with any queries.
At home (personal devices)
Learners (with consent confirmed in the Hwb User Management Portal)
All learner accounts with consent for Hwb Additional Services will automatically have a Microsoft 365 licence applied, allowing them to benefit from this agreement.
Once learners are marked as a ‘leaver’ in the school's Management Information System (SIMS, Teacher Centre) and the Provisioning Client runs, the account will be automatically deactivated and the M365 licences removed.
- The number of licences available to each school has been determined by data from PLASC 2018. This will be reviewed annually in line with the PLASC returns.
- School Digital Champions can allocate a licence through the Hwb User Management Portal to ANY member of staff.
- Staff members not allocated a licence can continue to benefit from all the Office 365 (A1) features.
Find out how to install Minecraft Education Edition.
Installing Office 365 for home use
Users with a Microsoft A3 licence applied will be able to download Office 365 ProPlus on up to 5 personal devices including PCs, Macs and mobile devices.
Whilst the User Management Portal and provisioning service will handle licence allocation, software downloads will be available directly from the Hwb Office 365 tenant:
- Log in to Hwb and navigate to Office 365.
- Click on the Install Office dropdown (in the top right hand corner).
- Click Install software.
- Under My installs, click Install Office.
- Follow the on-screen instructions (installation can take a while depending on the Internet connection speed).
- Once installed, open an app such as Word and read and accept "The fine print".
- A pop up will appear asking you to select a Default File Type. Select Office Open XML formats > Click OK.
- Click Sign in to get the most out of Office (in the top right hand corner) and enter your Hwb username and password. This will connect the additional services to the Office installation, such as OneDrive.
- If using Windows 10, accept the prompt. You may wish to un-tick Allow my organization to manage my device and select This app only.
- Minecraft EE cannot be configured via KMS.
- Only staff who have been allocated a M365 licence through the Hwb User Management Portal will be able to log in to Minecraft EE.
- All learners with consent will be able to log in.
- More information on Minecraft EE is available in the Hwb Support Centre.