Evaluation and improvement principles
When designing this resource, the practitioners involved committed to the principle that this resource should be of practical help in enabling schools to make improvements. They developed a set of principles to support the design and implementation of the resource.
The resource includes and promotes the following features and values:
- a focus on achieving the best for all learners.
- Alignment with the work of all other institutions/initiatives
- flexibility and responsiveness to school context
- clear links to professional learning
- an ongoing process and not a ‘snapshot’
- sustainability and manageability
- transparency and honesty
- useful and worthwhile
- a bilingual approach throughout
- the process is created by those who use it
In summary, the resource should support
- all learners
- all schools
- a sustainable and self-improving education system
Schools should use the resource as a menu. The resource contains practical guidance and exemplification materials about 'how' to use a range of approaches for evaluation and improvement work. This is enhanced by an extensive menu of reflection prompts and additional resources that support schools to identify 'what' to evaluate and improve.
In addition, a variety of interactive resources support training, development and positive cultural change in relation to evaluation and improvement work. Importantly, as well as promoting desired behaviours and practices this resource also aims to discourage less effective practices or ‘bad habits’.
Approaches to self-evaluation
- Looking at learning and teaching
Suggestions on approaches to evaluating learning and teaching and an interactive resource on engaging with learners.
- Evaluating learner progress
Guidance around evaluating learner progress, the principles of progression and using data.
- Engaging with stakeholders
Information on how engaging with learners, school staff and wider school community supports improvement., together with an interactive activity.
- Planning and implementing improvement
Guidance on planning and improvement, aligned to the new non-statutory guidance on school improvement.