Primary to secondary Welsh-medium conversion programme
- Part of
Our strategy for the Welsh language, Cymraeg 2050, sets long-term targets for increasing the number of teachers able to teach through the medium of Welsh.
We are currently recruiting a broadly sufficient number of Welsh-medium teachers for the primary sector to be able to meet the targets. However, reaching the targets for the secondary sector is a challenge. Particular focus is needed on increasing the number of secondary school teachers able to teach Welsh as a subject and to teach through the medium of Welsh.
Aim of the conversion programme
The aim of the programme is to increase the number of Welsh-medium secondary teachers. A pilot conversion programme started in September 2020 with 10 teachers participating. It continued in 2021 to 2022 with a further 14 teachers taking part and another 20 in 2022 to 2023. Based on positive feedback from the participants and schools that have taken part, we will continue the programme in 2023 to 2024 and offer the opportunity to another 20 teachers.
The programme is provided in partnership between schools and Initial Teacher Education (ITE) providers over a period of one academic year.
There will be 4 days of support delivered by ITE providers on the following themes:
- classroom management
- behaviour management
- teacher well-being and developing resilience
- time management and workload management strategies
- overview of lesson planning techniques
- overview of new curriculum
- linguistic support based on individual need
The schools will be responsible for providing a range of experiences and support, which will provide professional development for individuals on the following:
- subject support
- marking and providing feedback
- lesson planning
Each individual will be expected to teach lessons with a teaching timetable increasing during the school year. They will also have access to a professional support teacher within the school, who will be responsible for holding a professional dialogue on the individual’s development every 2 weeks and to provide support in a lesson once every 2 weeks.
Recruitment and selection process
We are looking for 20 enthusiastic individuals who have a clear vision for developing independent, confident and successful learners. This opportunity is open to full time or part time applications.
Applications are invited from qualified teachers who fall into one of the following categories:
- Primary teachers in Wales who are interested in developing their careers to teach in a secondary school.
- Primary teachers working in England who wish to return to teach in a secondary school in Wales.
- Teachers, with either primary or secondary QTS, who have been away from teaching for at least 5 years and want to return to the profession.
The programme is available to applicants across Wales.
Individuals should submit expressions of interest to be part of the scheme through the Welsh Government by downloading and emailing the form using the Individual EOI form. These will be forwarded to partner schools to sift and progress the formal application process.
The closing date for applications is 11:59pm on Monday 13 March 2023.
Interviews will be held at the partner schools before the Easter holidays.
Each individual participating in the programme will receive a salary at the appropriate rate for one school year. The individuals will be contracted and paid by the schools or local authorities. There will be no guarantee of a permanent post following completion of the programme. However, individuals will be able to apply for any vacant posts in secondary schools.
- Application form for individuals (Welsh only) docx 22 Kb This file may not be accessible. If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is
- Privacy notice pdf 569 Kb This file may not be accessible. If you need a more accessible version of this document please email email@example.com. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is
If you require any additional information, please contact the Welsh-medium Conversion Programme team at AthrawonCC.WMTeachers@gov.wales