Evidence base for the National Professional Learning Entitlement
Provides an overview of the range of sources brought together as part of the development of the National Professional Learning Entitlement.
As part of the development of the professional learning entitlement, we have brought together a range of sources of evidence in addition to those found on the resources page. These range from commissioned reviews of aspects of the system such as newly qualified teacher induction, to evaluations of specific schemes and independent reviews of different aspects of our system.
Sources of evidence
- Teacher induction review (short term supply focus): OB3, March 2020
This research aims to understand the experiences and views of newly qualified teachers (NQTs) about their induction.
- Review of induction (whole system focus): Mick Waters, November 2020
This is a consideration of the process of teacher induction into the teaching profession in order to suggest ways in which it could be more effective for both the system and the individual teachers by Professor Mick Waters.
This report presents the findings of an evaluation of the Welsh Language Sabbatical Scheme for education practitioners.
- Evaluation of the professional standards for teaching, leadership and assisting teaching: Year 1 report: ARAD, May 2021
This research evaluates the implementation, effectiveness and anticipated impacts of the professional standards, and their ability to support the development of a highly-skilled workforce.
- The impact of professional learning on practitioners, pupils and school improvement: An evidence review: Bristow, DTP, September 2021
This paper was produced by a researcher on the Doctoral Training Programme in autumn 2021. It has informed our approach to understanding the impact professional learning has on practice in schools and outcomes for learners
- Leadership review: Harris et al, December 2021
This paper is a strategic review of support for leadership in Wales that includes consideration of the NPQH, the funding model for leadership support, succession planning and our expectations of leadership’s role in realising the curriculum. It provides a critical independent review of the roles and responsibilities of all the agencies in the system that provide support for leadership and how they interact to achieve the best solutions for a typical school leadership team including Headteachers, Deputy Headteachers and Assistant Headteachers.
- Teacher professional learning study: OECD, May 2021
The study examined the policy context supporting the professional learning of teachers in Wales, exploring challenges, strengths and innovations.
OECD conducted a virtual visit during November 2020 meeting with a range of stakeholders and practitioners in Wales to inform their evidence.
The report is broken down in to 3 areas.
- National system perspective, creating a system that promotes continuing professional learning.
- School and school leader perspective, embedding professional learning in schools.
- Teacher perspective, embedding professional learning in teaching practice.
The report highlights areas for further consideration/development and celebrates the positive achievements we have made in Wales over the last few years, highlighting the comprehensive policy framework and shared commitment across stakeholders in the Welsh school system that will provide excellent conditions for moving ahead.
A copy of the report can be found on the OECD Website.