Recording lessons in Hwb
Through Hwb, staff have access to Microsoft 365 (M365) and Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals.
Microsoft Teams can be used to record lessons.
Google Meet can be used to record lessons.
Recording lessons in Microsoft Teams
If you are planning on recording live lessons with learners please be aware of the following.
- Practitioners can record lessons or meetings within Microsoft Teams.
- Learners cannot record lessons.
- All practitioners can record a ‘meet now’ or ‘scheduled meeting’ outside a Team.
- Within a Team only a Team owner can record a ‘meet now’ or ‘scheduled meeting’.
How do I record a Microsoft Teams meeting?
For further information on recording Teams Meetings, please refer to our Microsoft Teams guidance.
Where can I find my lesson recording?
When recording a Microsoft Teams lesson the location of the recording will be dependent on whether the lesson is started from inside a Team.
Recording outside a Team (Meet now or scheduled meeting)
When recording outside a Team, the recording will be stored in the personal OneDrive of the user who records the meeting.
The user who records the lesson or meeting can access the recording in their OneDrive, and will have full access to share, delete or edit the recording. This can be found in the Recordings folder under My Files.
Once the lesson or meeting ends the recording will be visible to all attendees from the Meeting Chat (or Teams Feed for Learners). All attendees can click on the recording in the Chat or Click on (…) and select Open in OneDrive (Hwb login required).
Attendees will only be able to view the recording.
Recording within a Team (Meet now or scheduled meeting)
When recording within a team, the recording is stored in the Team Channel Sharepoint site.
Once the lesson or meeting ends the recording is visible to all team owners and members under the Files tab within the Team. This will be automatically placed within the View only sub-folder under the Recordings folder.
The recording is also visible within the Team Posts tab, where all Team owners and members can view the recording.
All team owners will have full access to share, delete or edit the recording.
Team members will only be able to view the recording.
How do I change permissions and share lesson recordings?
At all times it is your responsibility as the meeting organiser to manage recordings safely and securely.
It is important to ensure that all learners are ‘members’ of teams and are not assigned as ‘owners’ of a team.
Please be aware that if you click the 3 dots (…) next to the video image in the Chat and select Share … this will share the recording to ALL users in the organisation. This means ALL Hwb users across Wales.
How do I restrict learners from viewing lesson recordings?
Owners of the lesson can move a recording to restrict learners from accessing the recording by following these steps:
- Click on the Files tab within the Team.
- Select the Recordings Folder and click on the View only sub-folder.
- Select Open in SharePoint (this will open the View only folder in Sharepoint).
- Select the tick box next to the recording you wish to restrict.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots.
- Select Move to and click Your OneDrive
- Choose which folder in your OneDrive to move the recording to.
- Then click Move here.
The learner or other Team members and owners will then:
- Not be able to see the recording in SharePoint.
- Not be able play the recording from the Team Posts or Team Files.
Recording lessons in Google Meet
For further information on recording Google Meet lessons please refer to our Google Meet guidance.
Where can I find my Meet (lesson) recording?
After you have finished recording you will need to wait for the recording file to be generated and saved to the meeting organiser’s My Drive > Meet Recordings folder.
An email with the recording link is sent to the meeting organiser, and the person who started the recording.
Points to remember
- At all times it is your responsibility as the meeting organiser to manage recordings safely and securely.
- Video recordings of lessons offer flexibility to learners, enabling them to access lessons at convenient times or to re-visit lessons to clarify or confirm lesson content.